Who does Colorado think they are? Seriously. When did Colorado become such a coveted job? Rumors are out there of the Buffs having interest in Mark Richt, Les Miles and even former Oregon Head Coach Mike Bellotti. I am glad Colorado has such a high opinion of themselves.
I could rattle off a long list of why this is stupid. But Colorado didn’t fire Hawkins last year mainly due to money. They don’t have the $10 million + it would take to buy out Richt or Miles, then both would want multi year deals at a least $2 million more. You are looking at $20 million-at least-to get either one of them. It just isn’t finacially feasible.
This is just plain silly. If Georgia fired Richt, we could not get a coach the caliber of Miles. What has Colorado done in the last 10 years that would make it a more attractive job than Georgia?
Here are 5 other reasons Mark Richt will not be going to Colorado next season:
1. Greg McGarity and Mark Richt said so. We may be angry with our head coach, but the AD seems happy with him and willing to offer Coach Richt another year. Mark Richt wants to stay at Georgia. So there. End of discussion.
2. Colorado is about to move to the Pac-10, and every road game-6 games a year- is going to require to travel WEST. Coach Richt hates the West Coast travel, and everythime the Buffaloes travel, they are going to be going AT LEAST as far as Georgia has to go to Fayetteville. Coach Richt, despite his good road record, isn’t fond of traveling far.
3. Mark Richt has his family in Watkinsville. If he were to quit, be fired or retire, I don’t see him moving halfway across the country. If he were to take another coaching job, it would be in the Southeast, and he could be picky.
4. Again, he could be picky and choose the right situation. Colorado is not in a good spot. They don’t have any talent. When Coach Richt came to Georgia, Jim Donnan left the cupboard full. Dan Hawkins has left the cupboard bare. Couple that with the fact Colorado will be instantly behind USC, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Cal, Oregon State and Stanford when they join the Pac-10. Georgia just had to get past Florida and Tennessee in the East…Coloroda has a long ways to go to contend for championships.
5. Boulder folks like to smoke that Wacky Tobacky. The fumes from all the second hand smoke pollution would make Coach Richt even more docile than he is now. He doesn’t want to be a snail.